REGIONAL ECONOMIC COMMUNITIES
The AU Regional Economic Communities (RECs) have a vast Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration (DDR) experience. The AUDDRCP project works in close collaboration with all the RECS in planning and implementation of the project’s activities.
In order to strengthen continental ownership and participation as well as to build on the APSA, the Steering Committee of the AU DDRCP is composed of representatives of the AU Commission, the 8 RECs and 2 RMs with representatives of the UN and World Bank-TDRP acting as active observers. In its inaugural meeting on 20-21 February 2013, the DDR Steering Committee decided to merge the steering committees of both the AU DDR and SALW programs.
Also an Advanced DDR training has been developed and implemented for African Union, RECS/RMs staff and Member states; in order to:
- Familiarize the participants with the DDR practice and guidance as enshrined in the integrated DDR Standards and guidance materials used by other partners;
- Share with participant’s practical experience in planning / Conducting DDR experience;
- Strengthen the partnership between the AU, RECs DDR staff and national DDR counterparts.
- Arab Maghreb Union
- East African Community
- Community of Sahel-Saharan States
- Southern African Development Community
- Economic Community of West African States
- Inter Governmental Authority on Development
- Economic Community of Central African States
- Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa